Sous Chef, with experience
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
PLACE OF WORK: Kitchen
Prior Sous Chef experience. Ability to effectively work and communicate in a fast paced working environment, particularly with Front of House Manager and all culinary staff. Make a constant effort to improve working procedures to upgrade food quality and presentation. Focus to be on creating menus for healthy, nutritional foods. Essential that this position works the line. Monitor skills of employees and help develop and refine their skills to make them more valuable to the operation. Proven leadership ability. Knowledge of food and labor cost control. Proper food handling, safety and sanitation required. Banquet line experience a plus. Knowledge of food ordering and receiving. Month end inventory. Responsible for providing the highest level of service to guests. Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays. Member of the Manager on Duty program.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Must be able to effectively work and communicate in a fast paced working environment.
2. Responsible for overall Kitchen operation, ensuring all culinary employees are briefed daily to assure maximum preparedness for the shift, ensure all culinary employees are adhering to the guidelines of dress code. Ensuring proper coverage of all kitchen shifts to include assuming responsibility for call offs; to be shared by Banquet Chef/Assistant Kitchen Manager
3. Focus to be on creating menus with healthy, nutritional foods. Ability to cost out menus.
4. Responsible for creating PM Specials, pricing within food cost guidelines as well as communicating above mentioned special to front desk personnel and front of the house team members. Ensuring front of the house team members receive a sample plate with presentation, tasting and precise description of the evening special.
5. Expediting and quality control - make a constant effort to improve working procedures to upgrade food quality and presentation as well as ensuring consistency regarding proper delivery of said product by creating precise, consistent recipes.
6. Training of culinary staff - Monitor skills of employees and help develop and refine their skills to make them more valuable to the operation.
7. Proven leadership ability.
8. Knowledge of food and labor cost control.
9. Protection of the organization, the staff and guests by adhering to all safety, sanitation, food preparation, food storage and health department requirements.
10. Banquet line experience
10. Ensure accurate consistent food ordering & receiving.
11. Assist with Month end inventory.
12. Daily inventory control reports as stipulated by General Manager.
13. Scheduling all culinary personnel while ensuring Labor cost control
14. Computer skills
15. Give frequent, timely and specific feedback to employees. Handle employee reviews in a timely manner. Handle employee issues with coaching and counseling and progressive discipline including your recommendation to HR on termination. Document all employee issues. Keep accurate records about employee accomplishments and challenges.
16. An active member of the supervisory team
17. Member of the Manager on Duty program.
18. Adhere to and enforce all company policies and procedures
19. All other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
High School Diploma or GED equivalent
Minimum 2 years of formal culinary education
Food Handler’s card
Minimum 3 years experience in sauté, broiler, soups and sauces
Prior kitchen supervisory experience
Ability to work the line
Knowledge of culinary language and skills
Ability to operate sauté and broiler simultaneously
Knowledge of proper knife handling procedures
Good written and verbal skills
Able to work well under time constraints
PHYSICAL ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Able to lift up to 70 pounds.
Able to remain on feet for entire shift with much lifting and bending.
EXEMPT EMPLOYEE STATUS:
This position meets the Fair Labor Standards (FLSA) Act for Exempt Employee category, which includes a complete exemption from its minimum wage and overtime requirements for employees employed in a bona fide executive, administrative, professional, or outside sales capacity.